Nurse » Nurse



Office - (603) 516-7287        Fax - (603) 516-8462






The school nurse is on duty during school hours and is available to students who become ill or injured during school hours.  The health office is also available to parents with questions regarding their children and/or school health policies. We welcome and encourage calls to update us regarding your child’s health concerns and needs.


School health services include administering medication, assessment of acute problems and chronic problems, vision and hearing screening, and the monitoring of immunizations to keep children in compliance with state regulations. Upon entrance to school, children are required to have up-to-date immunizations and a current physical exam (within the past year) per the State of New Hampshire. Below are several health practices in place to keep the students healthy, and ready to learn.



Each student must return a completed emergency form every school year. This form is vital in providing up-to-date medical information on your student as well as needed contact phone numbers to use in the event of an emergency.




To ensure a healthy environment we will dismiss all ill students who compromise their own health or the health of the school population to their parents or guardians. Students who have had diarrhea, vomiting, and/or a temperature over l00 degrees should be kept home until free from symptoms, without the aid of medication, for not less than 24 hours.  A child with a bacterial infection that can be spread to other children (strep throat, impetigo, etc.) must be on an antibiotic for at least 24 hours before returning to school. 




State of NH 2020-21 Requirements : NH Immunization requirements 2020-21

****note to Middle School families****
All students, prior to entering 7th grade, are required by the State of NH to provide their school with written proof of a Tdap vaccination. This is the adult dose of Tetanus, Diphtheria, and Pertussis. It is given at either their 10 year or 11 year old Well Child Check. A Tdap vaccine given on or after the 7th birthday meets the school requirement for Grade 7.
Once they have had the Tdap immunization, please provide a copy to the Dover Middle School Health Office. (Failure to provide documentation will result in conditional enrollment and / or 30 day exclusion notice until an appointment or documentation is received by the DMS Health office.) 


New Hampshire RSA 141-C:20-c states that a child may be exempt from required school and child care immunization if:

A licensed physician or authorized health care provider certifies that immunization against a particular disease may be detrimental to the child's health. The exemption shall exist only for the length of time, in the opinion of the physician, such immunization would be detrimental to the child. An exemption from immunization for one disease shall not affect other required immunizations. This is a Medical Exemption.
A parent or legal guardian objects to immunization because of religious beliefs. The parent or legal guardian shall sign a notarized form stating that the child has not been immunized because of religious beliefs. This is a Religious Exemption.

To be granted Religious Exemption, the following form is required to be completed and submitted to the school health office. State of NH Religious Exemption Form





The State of New Hampshire dictates that all medication, both over-the-counter and prescription, be administered through the health office.  All medication must be brought to the school in the original container, clearly marked with the student's name and dosage.  Laws regarding dispensing medications are strict:

  • Over-the-Counter Medication

Parent must sign school form allowing the nurse to dispense the medication. Your student may bring over the counter medication and completed signed forms directly to the Health Office.Click Here for Medication Authorization Form 

  • Prescription Medication

Under the provision of Ed 311.02: when it is found necessary to place a child on medication during the school day, the school must have the following information:

Medication must be in a pharmacy labeled bottle with the student’s name & correct dosage, and contain only enough medication for one (1) month. Medication must be brought-in by a responsible Adult. A written letter by your child's doctor which includes student's name, date of the order, the name and signature of prescriber and contact numbers, medication name, route and dosage of medication, diagnosis (if not a violation of confidentiality), directions/ frequency and time of administration, and possible side effects must accompany the prescription. A form is available on line for this purpose (click here for Medication Authorization Form). Please ask the pharmacy to divide the medication into two bottles, one for home and one for school.  




Your child needs an EMERGENCY ACTION PLAN at school - click on the plan you need below

Asthma Action PlanAllergy and Anaphylaxis Plan,   Seizure Plan

These emergency plans are the tools needed to keep your child healthy.  Each school year a new plan is required.

Here’s what you need to do:

  1. Bring a copy of the Action Plan to your child’s provider 
  2. Discuss the plan with your provider
  3. You AND your Health Care Provider must sign the plan
  4. Return completed plan and any necessary medications to the DMS Health office before the first day of school 

Thank you for your help in obtaining all necessary documentation to keep your students healthy!